The Forensic Science Analysis Centre, a nationally recognized leader in the forensic science community, provides independent and impartial forensic science services to both government agencies and to the private sector. In the Forensic Science Analysis Centre, there are several Divisions:
These services are available in the Headquarters and all the Branch Laboratories of Kimia Malaysia, except for :
- DNA profiling analysis which is only conducted in the Headquarters Petaling Jaya, Kuching Branch Laboratory and Penang Branch Laboratory.
- Document examination services are available only in the Headquarters Petaling Jaya and Kota Kinabalu Branch Laboratory.
In addition to the above, the center also provides other scientific support services including, expert opinions, lectures and training to :
- Law enforcement agencies.
- The Attorney General’s Chambers.
- Fellows under the UNODC training program.
- Undergraduates/postgraduates of forensic science courses Overseas scientist.
Objectives of the Forensic Science Analysis Centre :
- To provide “state of the art” forensic science services to law enforcement agencies and the criminal justice community.
- To ensure all examinations and analyses are technically correct and this applies not only to laboratory work, but also to written reports, scene investigations and court testimonies.
Instruments and Facilities Available in KIMA Malaysia :
KIMIA Malaysia uses state of the art scientific instruments and the latest techniques to facilitate accurate and precise analysis of casework samples. These include:
- An Integrated multi-function Document Examination System comprising a video spectral comparison and Raman Spectrometer.
- Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) for the screening of drugs of abuse.
- Gas Chromatographs with various specific detectors.
- Remedi HS Profiling system for the screening of drugs in urine.High Performance Liquid Chromatographs (HPLC) with photodiode array detector.
- Gas Chromatographs with mass selective detectors (GCMS).
- CO-oximeter for the analysis of carbon monoxide in blood.
- Fourier Transform Infra-Red (FTIR)-microscope
- Automated High Power Microscope for examination of pirated compact dics
- Genetic Analyzer for DNA analysis
Accreditation to the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors/ Laboratory Accreditation Board (ASCLD-LAB)
The Forensic Science Analysis Centre has been accredited to the ASCLD/LAB® (American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors/Laboratory Accreditation Board) since 19 October 2005. The Division is accredited in the disciplines of Controlled Substances, Toxicology, Biology (Serology and DNA), Firearms/Toolmarks and Questioned Documents.
KIMIA Malaysia is proud to be the tenth laboratory outside the United States to be granted the highly acclaimed accreditation certificate, as this proves that the forensic services offered by Department are on par with international standards and requirements set by ASCLD/LAB.
Visit ASCLD/LAB at : https://anab.ansi.org/
Forensic Science Analysis Centre,
Department of Chemistry , Malaysia,
46661 Petaling Jaya
Fax: +603-7958 3092/+603 7955 6764