The Industry and Trade Tariff Classification function to give away analysis and advice service to various government agency to back enforcement invite – invite, protect government revenue, protect consumer and ensure worker safety.
There were 3 Section under this part namely :
- Primary Product section and material
- Industrial products Section
- Chemical Substance Section
The Industry and Trade Tariff Classification Division (ITTC) provides analytical and advisory services to support the enforcement of laws as well as for the implementation of programmes relating to protection of government revenue, safeguarding consumer interests and ensuring the safety of workers. These services are categorised according to the types of products and programmes viz:
- Determination of composition of goods for tariff code classification for the purpose of collecting government revenues. Samples are submitted by the Royal Malaysian Customs Department.
- Analysis of tender and supplies samples submitted by various government agencies for compliance to contract specifications.
Enforcement of Various Acts
- Determination of composition and quality of products for compliance of specifications enforced under the various Acts including the Customs Act 1967, the Palm Oil Board Act 1998 and the Trade Description Act 1972.
Halal Haram Testing
- Testing of samples such as leather, hair/bristles to confirm the animal origin
- Confirmation of food products suspected to contain lard
- Ascertain the presence of alcohol in beverages, pharmaceuticals, food and cosmetic products.
Industrial Hygiene samples analysis
- Samples are collected from work place environment and tested for compliance to requirements of regulations under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), 1994.
- Ship and tanker inspection for ‘gas free’ and ‘hot work’ certification to ensure ships are free from flammable gases.
- Determination of type and class of petroleum under Petroleum (Safety Measures) Act, 1984 for safe handling and discharging of petroleum products at ports and petroleum terminals.
Occupational Safety & Health
This Division coordinates all activities and programmes relating to certification of Occupation Health and Safety Assessment Series (OHSAS) 18001 for all the laboratories of the Department. These activities and programmes include :
- Internal audits
- Chemical health risk assessment
- Waste disposal
- Monitoring of exposure to chemicals hazardous to health
- Monitoring of local exhaust ventilation equipment system
The Division also provides advisory, consultancy, lectures and training on laboratory safety to government agencies as well as the private sector.
Services to the Private Sector
The Division provides advisory, consultancy and some of the testing services to the private sector, particularly for small and medium enterprises. Please contact us for further information.
Industry and Trade Tariff Classification Division,
Department of Chemistry Malaysia,
46661 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
Phone : +603-7985 3012 / 3013
Fax : +603-7985 3014
Updated: November 22, 2017 at 4:43 pm