Meat Speciation / Halal DNA Functions
1. Identify the presence of porcine to fulfil halal certification requirement.
2. Identification of animal- or plant-derived products.
3. Determination of animal species.
4. Authentication of vegetarian food.
Type of sample received
1. Raw food products
2. Processed food products
3. Meat and meat products
4. Vegetarian food
5. Herbal and traditional medicinal products
6. Leather: e.g. shoes, handbags
7. Hair and fur: e.g. brushes, carpets
8. Healthcare products
Type of analysis
1. Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method
– detect universal DNA sequence(s) for vertebrates and plants.
– detect species specific DNA sequence(s) for animals.
2. Real Time PCR (RT-PCR)
– Faster and more sensitive method to detect and identify species specific DNA sequences for domestic animals.
3. DNA Sequencing
– Identify the species of an unknown DNA sequence(s) through comparison with the public database.
Updated: July 27, 2016 at 2:13 am